Sunday, August 8, 2010

Worship of the Captains of Industry (posted by DT)

I'm a social worker, and proud of the work I do with people who are in psychiatric distress. I've worked a great deal with people at the bottom of the food chain during my career. Now when I used to tell people what I did, the most common response from those not in the field was something like "Oh, that's so noble!". It can feel a bit patronizing, actually, but it feels good too that people appreciate and value the work I do.

But in the past few years I think something has changed in America. It used to be that social workers, teachers, and police were, if not high-status in most ways, at least seen as people who sacrificed something of themselves for the good of society. Meanwhile, those in the business world were seen as people more out for themselves- not greedy bastards or anything, but also not noble do-gooders.

But now, as the works of Ayn Rand have swept the Right, the new Heroes are the captains of industry. They provide the jobs for the rest of us. They pay the taxes that support society (at least for now, until the Right gets its way on tax reform). They take the rest of us, the meek and helpless proletarians, on their shoulders and bequeath in their magnanimity the jobs that will allow us to maintain our bare existence.

Now I always thought that the executives and the successful enterpreneurs were pretty well compensated for their hard work and risk-taking. Our capitalist system rewards these winners with mountains of money; in fact the mountains have grown considerably over the past 10 years in comparison to the rest of us. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities reports that "two-thirds of the nation's total income gains from 2002 to 2007 flowed to the top 1 percent of U.S. households, and that top 1 percent held a larger share of income in 2007 than at any time since 1928..."

So I don't think one can argue that the winners are being disrespected by the market. But on top of the fact that the rules of the game are continuing to tilt further and further in the direction of the Haves, I also have to endure pundits telling me that I should be thanking the Captains on bended knee for allowing me to eat their scraps. And this after 2007-2008, when the creme de la creme of the Overclass at Goldman Sachs and AIG destroyed the economy along with five million jobs that look like they're not coming back for many years. I'm supposed to thank these thieves?

Look, I believe in capitalism. To paraphrase Churchill, capitalism is a terrible way to run an economy, and the only thing worse is Everything Else. We do need the Captains of Industry. But they need us too. And they're not sacrificing themselves for us- they're just doing what they've always done, which is try to make as much money as they can, however they can.

You don't get brownie points for that in my book. Your bank statement will just have to be enough.

UPDATE: Here's a Youtube of Sarah Pailin talking with a woman who is criticizing her for quitting the governorship of Alaska. The part that strikes me and many others is the look she gives her daughter when the woman they are talking with tells them that she is a teacher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKflKzmfRCw&feature=player_embedded

Maybe my faithful readers think I'm reading too much into a look, but look for yourselves and decide (at the 1:10 mark)

UPDATE 2: My friend the Gun Toting Liberal has a related post up here: http://guntotingliberal.blogspot.com/2010/08/capitalism-say-it-soft-and-its-almost.html with which I totally agree. I thought I'd bring my massive traffic his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment