Thursday, March 11, 2010

Poker Face (posted by DT)

I think this is really interesting:
http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/health-care-reform-poker

It makes the point that Republicans are generally better poker players than Democrats, and I think this is probably true. I hate poker- I'm too risk-averse. (I know my co-blogger feels differently, though since I don't play with him I don't know how good a bluffer he is).

In the Health Care fight, Democrats seem so easily spooked that it's pathetic, while Republicans have taken on this huge all-in gamble to stop health care. Similarly, when Republicans were in charge they immediately initiated their economic agenda of huge tax cuts, with nary a worry about consequences. Democrats, on the other hand, got in charge and immediately started backtracking to half-measures, with a too-small stimulus package that has not done enough to slow unemployment. Dems also wouldn't stand up to Joe Lieberman and his possible bluffs about refusing to support their agenda, and they won't risk upsetting their wavering members and double down on health care reform.

Once again, it seems that Democrats just don't want to lead. Republicans want to lead and know how to get stuff done, but unfortunately they're leading us over the cliff. I'm not excited about the prospects.

No comments:

Post a Comment