Monday, January 10, 2011

Shooting in Arizona (posted by DT)

I know you're all dying for my thoughts about the shooting of a congresswoman in Arizona the other day.

I don't think that the actions of one quite crazy man can be pinned on the "political discourse". Republican hyperbole about health care in particular is indeed reprehensible, but this guy doesn't seem to be acting in reaction to any of that- his political views were, one might say, quite quirky.

But the issue that comes up for me is that it's so easy to buy a semi-automatic gun that any lunatic can get one- legally! I know Gun Control is a lost cause in the USA, and yes it's true that criminals are going to find a way to get a gun no matter the laws, but this shooter is just the kind of guy who might not know where to find one so easily the day he decides to make a name for himself. There should be many more controls on gun purchases- too bad nobody who lives more than 100 miles from an ocean agrees with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment