Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Terrorism Lurks?

This Iranian plot to kill the Saudi ambassador in the US sounds scary (Iran's denials notwithstanding).... and then I read Glenn Greenwald here.

He points out that the US has shown no evidence that this plot goes anywhere up in the Iranian government, and suggests that what we have is another situation in which the FBI sets up and entraps some hapless loser who has no means to carry out any attack, and then trumpets how it has saved us all yet again from another 9/11.

It does sound a little odd to hire a Mexican drug cartel to do the deed, doesn't it?  I would think Iran has a big enough national security establishment to employ a few of its own assassins.

Greenwald also sarcastically points out the double standard of our nation, appalled that Iran would plan a killing on our soil while we launch drone attacks anywhere we want, no matter what the government of the host country thinks, without thinking twice about the legality of such a move.

Food for thought anyway.  I don't know whether this plan was legitimately dangerous or not.  But if I've learned nothing else, I know that governments (even our own) are quite willing to lie and mislead.  We shouldn't accept things at face value.

UPDATE 10/13/2011: I see very little on the news that picks up on Greenwald's theme.  The more I think about it, the more I lean toward this view: Iran is being set up.  Hey, they kind of deserve it I guess, they're certainly not my favorite theocracy, but it's s setup nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment